Sunday, November 4, 2007

UW Marching Band - September

This September, the University of Wisconsin's first home football game took place before the end the UW Marching Band's tryout week. Because the freshmen had not been chosen and weren't a part of the band yet, all of them marched as a separate group during halftime, not as a part of the band. The UW Band always marches 16 tubas, but the tuba section only had 15 returning sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Because I was a tuba player in the band many years ago (and because the current tuba players are really nice and invited me) I was lucky enough to be asked (along with my husband, who also is a tuba player) to march with the band for the first game, possibly making me the oldest person ever to march in the band. I marched the pregame show and my husband marched halftime. Here's an action shot from pregame - I'm the middle tuba player. (The band wore sweaters and white shorts for the first game instead of the regular band uniforms.)

No comments: